ENGELSK: DRAFTING CONTRACTS IN MODERN LEGAL ENGLISH
Course language: English
Translators and others who work with legal English on a daily basis.
You have a BA or more in English
According to the Anglo Saxon bar associations and judiciary, modern English language contracts should be as plain, as clear and as concise as possible. This one-day seminar will help you draft better contracts in English. By the end of the seminar you will be able to recognize clumsily drafted terms and confidently rewrite them into clear, simple English.
- Modal verbs in contracts- choosing the right modal verb to achieve the aim of the clause- and avoiding the wrong one
- Vagueness and ambiguity- how to use vagueness, and how to avoid ambiguity
- How to avoid clumsy legal jargon and write in plain, clear English instead
- Writing in the active voice, and the problems caused by passive voice clauses
- Avoiding wordiness- saying what you want to say as quickly as possible, and not unnecessarily repeating synonyms
- Avoiding archaic words and phrases, and replacing them with modern legal/business English, so that the user of the contract can actually understand it
- How poor drafting can weaken a clause, or possibly even make it completely ineffective
- Typical mistakes
- Many exercises in the dying art of drafting terms without the help of the office database (from your head)
- Many exercises in recognizing poorly- written terms taken from the office database, and then editing them
Participants are encouraged to send in questions 14 days before the course to firstname.lastname@example.org
Course certificates will be issued after the course.
English language trainer,12 years´experience practising law as a solicitor in London.
HEAD OF COURSES
DKK 3.995,- excl. VAT per participant.
TIME AND PLACE
25 September 2017, 09.00- 16.00, Phoenix Hotel, Bredgade 37, 1260 Kbh K.
DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION
25 August 2017
Please note that the course presupposes a minimum of 5 participants.
To sign on or if you have any questions, please write to email@example.com